Is the piano the hardest instrument to learn?
The piano is one of the most beloved instruments in the world, enchanting both experienced and novice musicians alike. But when it comes to learning piano, there are both advantages and disadvantages that come with it. Here are 5 points to consider why piano can be an incredibly difficult instrument to learn – as well as 5 reasons why piano is surprisingly easy to learn:
Why piano can be hard to learn:
1. Mastering piano takes a lot of practice and dedication - with most pieces requiring hundreds if not thousands of hours behind the piano keys in order for them to be played properly.
2. Playing piano requires hand-eye coordination, a trained ear for music, and precise finger technique.
3. Learning piano requires patience – piano is not something you can learn overnight, as it takes time for everything (from hand-eye coordination, to ear training)to come together into one cohesive experience.
4. Large range – piano has a huge range of notes that need to be mastered in order to play proficiently and accurately.
5. Complex movements – piano requires more dexterity than many other instruments with its combination of both fine motor skills for pressing keys and gross motor skills for general body movement.
Why piano is surprisingly easy to learn:
1. Piano offers immediate gratification – unlike other instruments, with piano, you are able to hear the results of your efforts instantly, with no delay.
2. Piano is incredibly versatile – piano can be used to play virtually any genre of music and it’s easy to pick up, even if you have no prior musical experience.
3. Easy-to-read notation – piano notation is very straightforward, providing a great starting point for learners who may not know how to read traditional sheet music.
4. Immediate feedback – piano has the ability to show you when you make mistakes in real time, allowing you to make corrections quickly and efficiently.
5. Accessibility of lessons – there are so many schools that offer lessons that it’s never been easier to find guidance on how to get started with piano playing!
The piano is a timeless instrument that has been delighting audiences for centuries. Don't hesitate - life is too precious to be held back from discovering its beauty! Taking that first step into this new world of music can open up endless possibilities. You may surprise yourself with what you can achieve!
Beethoven himself said “Music should strike fire from the heart of man and bring tears from the eyes of woman”. It's a life-changing experience to discover the power of music and the joy of playing an instrument.
Enquire with us today.